Saturday, August 25, 2007

Taiwan vs Japan

I really enjoyed watching the Taiwan vs Japan Little League World Series game on Thursday night.  All the kids on both side were so disciplined and talented.  It really was inspirational.  I was sorry to see Taiwan go down eventually after 9 innings in what should have been a 6 inning game.   And it made me a little wistful for Taiwan.  I really miss it there, and wish I could be back.

I am reminded of reading a book called Hiroshima by John Hershey when I was in 8th grade.  I lived in South Louisiana and the things Hershey described in that book seemed impossibly far away.    I despaired that I would never see that place or anyplace, but less than 20 years later, I was LIVING there.  I mention that anectdote to highlight my feelings now.  I look at my life and think, I will never get back to Asia, but like the 13 year old version of myself, I really have no idea what is in store for me.

Sooo, I will be resolute, and cheerful and trust that whereever I am, that is where I am meant to be.  But I do still want to go back to Taipei and have some beef noodle soup.

0 comments: